USI’s Management Tools
This newsletter is #3 in a 10-part series to explain the 10 great management tools that we use to help us be the thin film circuit supplier that you can really depend on.
- Continuous Improvement
- Employee Training & Certification
- On-Time Shipping Infrastructure
- ITAR Controls
- Change Controls & Certification
- Contract & Quality Review
- Statistical Process Controls in Manufacturing
- AS9100 Quality Management System
- Risk Management Processes
- UltraFAST Program
In our last newsletter we explained how we think that partnering with a good, trustworthy, supplier like UltraSource (USI) can benefit your company in many ways:
- Lower waste and rework in your operations
- Improved on-time deliveries and product quality
- Increased yields and productivity
- Faster time to market by using UltraFAST
- Lower total cost for doing business
And in that newsletter, we explained that we use 10 great management tools to help us be a consistent, trustworthy thin film supplier.
Management Tool #1 is Continuous Improvement.
- Finding the true root cause(s) of undesirable events
- Identifying and implementing corrective actions
- Assessing the effectiveness of corrective actions
- Preventing recurrence of the undesirable events
8D = Team Based Problem Solving
We really like to use the 8D or 8 Discipline approach as a team-oriented problem solving method for tackling problems. The 8D process was invented at Ford Motor Company in 1987 and follows the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model. We find the 8D format is easy to teach and use if you follow the 8 steps:
|D1) Team Definition||Pick people who have hands on experience with the involved business area(s) so they can help dig into the process details.|
|D2) Problem Description||Follow the data and list the details: quantities, dates, work order nubmers, etc.|
|D3) Contain with Temporary Actions||Immediately contain WIP, finished goods, product in transit, and at customer site(s).|
|D4) Analyze Data & Determine Root Cause||Show how you arrived at the root cause and provide a root cause statement.|
|D5) Permanent Corrective Actions||Must directly align to stated root cause – ACT on the FACTS!.|
|D6) Verification Actions||Test effectiveness across various conditions: shifts, operators, part numbers, etc.|
|D7) Preventive Actions||List system changes, FMEA updates and standardize to other part numbers.|
|D8) Team Recognition||Recognize success and include the customer.|
To look at an example of a recently completed 8D project click here.
Why do we do all this?
- CI Helps make UltraSource run smoother because we don’t just “band-aid” problems and issues, we fix them.
- Using these CI methodologies to resolve problems makes good business sense because it helps to minimize problems for us and for our customers.
Your Thin Film Source
UltraSource was founded in 1991 with the mission of building high quality thin film circuits and interconnects in key industries, including defense, aerospace, and telecommunications. We consistently invest in our infrastructure, technology, and our people so we can provide our customers with the best service and custom built thin film products available anywhere. Please take a few minutes to visit our website and learn how we can help you on your next thin film project.
To learn more, contact us at: (800) 742-9410