n our last newsletter we explained how we think that partnering with a good, trustworthy, supplier like UltraSource (USI) can benefit your company in many ways:
- Lower waste and rework in your operations
- Improved on-time deliveries and product quality
- Increased yields and productivity
- Faster time to market by using UltraFAST
- Lower total cost for doing business
And in that newsletter, we explained that we use 10 great management tools to help us be a consistent, trustworthy thin film supplier.
Management Tool #1 is Continuous Improvement.
- Finding the true root cause(s) of undesirable events
- Identifying and implementing corrective actions
- Assessing the effectiveness of corrective actions
- Preventing recurrence of the undesirable events
8D = Team Based Problem Solving
We really like to use the 8D or 8 Discipline approach as a team-oriented problem solving method for tackling problems. The 8D process was invented at Ford Motor Company in 1987 and follows the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model. We find the 8D format is easy to teach and use if you follow the 8 steps:
|D1) Team Definition||Pick people who have hands on experience with the involved business area(s) so they can help dig into the process details.|
|D2) Problem Description||Follow the data and list the details: quantities, dates, work order nubmers, etc.|
|D3) Contain with Temporary Actions||Immediately contain WIP, finished goods, product in transit, and at customer site(s).|
|D4) Analyze Data & Determine Root Cause||Show how you arrived at the root cause and provide a root cause statement.|
|D5) Permanent Corrective Actions||Must directly align to stated root cause – ACT on the FACTS!.|
|D6) Verification Actions||Test effectiveness across various conditions: shifts, operators, part numbers, etc.|
|D7) Preventive Actions||List system changes, FMEA updates and standardize to other part numbers.|
|D8) Team Recognition||Recognize success and include the customer.|
To look at an example of a recently completed 8D project click here.
Why do we do all this?
- CI Helps make UltraSource run smoother because we don’t just “band-aid” problems and issues, we fix them.
- Using these CI methodologies to resolve problems makes good business sense because it helps to minimize problems for us and for our customers.